GHC19 Notes: CR229 – Exerting Influence without Authority
Leadership vs. Authority
Authority — Police officer who tells what to do.
Leaders — Minister. Inspires others.
Action plan to build influence
- Establish expertise and Influence. Invite thought leaders to discuss pros and cons.
It’s not who you know, but who knows WHAT you know.
- Accountability. Give and receive feedback. Make sure you have a reputation for getting sh*t done.
- Build-A-Network. Talk to one person this week. At the end of the year, you will have made 52 new connections. Worst case networking will become a habit like exercise. Also, if you are after feedback, it may be more productive to ask for “advice.”
- Build A Coaliton.
- Co-creation. Seek out stakeholders individually. Create a vision of the future. You don’t need to denigrate the old system that others may take as a personal affront.
- Big “Yes” Meeting. Don’t rush to have the big meeting too early. While it may look more efficient, it’s setting you up for a big “NO.” You want each of the stakeholders to see one another saying “yes.”
Steve Jobs’ Idea Disease. Don’t think that the idea is 90% of the work. It’s not. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjQUqxN77SU
PS — Want more? Here are more detailed notes from Raquel Piqueras: https://medium.com/uxology/ghc19-exerting-influence-without-authority-by-aimee-cardwell-4ad2b6a8ad22