HopperX1NYC Notes: Raise Your Hand with Kim Kaupe
“The hardest person to convince that you deserve something is you.” Wow, these profound words are a powerful way to start a session. Who hasn’t struggled (or is struggling) with self-worth?!
As women, society encourages us to be modest and downplay our successes. It ends up becoming part of our internal narrative, and anything that feels like self-promotion ends up feeling really icky. However, we live in a world where visibility matters.
Practical tips for improving visibility
- Brag about “you” as you would about your best friends.
- Talk facts, not adjectives.
- Be specific with names and numbers. See the below image for an example of this.
Other worthwhile advice
- Think you don’t have anything to promote? No worries, we all start small. There is tremendous power in incremental improvement.
- Getting awards and accolades has a cumulative effect. With it comes increased credibility. It may be worth it for you to “dig for lists of awards and to put yourself out there.”
- Putting yourself out there increases the odds of success. “The best way to hit a home run is to step up to the plate more often.”